Mom’s need easy ideas I know. I remember well wanting to add new and meaningful traditions to our family’s annual calendar of events but all the duties and schedules of daily life made it difficult. This list is intended to be simply helpful if you want to join us in celebrating Ascension Day this week. No pressure, just five easy ideas. And they are all multiple choice!
1. Historically, this has been a feast day in the church. Consider making something special for dinner to surprise your family. Or create an easy pavlova, meringues, or other cloud-like dessert to celebrate the Ascension—and how Jesus will return. Here are a few verses to read if you’d like to talk about it more: Hebrews 7:25, John 14:3, Mark 16:19.
2. For dinnertime or bedtime conversation ask your kids to imagine what it must have been like to watch Jesus rise off the ground, into the air and then disappear in a cloud? Read Acts 1:9 to hear what actually happened.
3. If it’s not raining go outside, throw a quilt or blanket on the ground, everyone lie down to look at the sky and clouds together and imagine Jesus returning on one of the fluffiest clouds you can see. I bet some kids will try to see Him!
4. Or if weather doesn’t permit, have your kids, even teens, draw or color pictures of what they imagine they will see when Jesus returns on the clouds! Hang all the drawings on our chain garland if you have one, for visual reminders all week long that He promised to return and one day He will!
5. With older kids try to discuss how our lives should be different because Jesus was here with us. What evidences should be obvious that He lived among us? He has said His presence is still with us, “Lo I am with you always, even to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20).
We’d love to hear any stories of how you celebrated Ascension Day with your family!
2 thoughts on “Ascension Day Celebration Ideas”
Pingback: It’s Ascension Day – and we have much to celebrate!
THE KIDS AND I WERE OUTSIDE THE OTHER DAY LOOKING UP AT THE SKY. WE COULD SEE BIRDS AND AN OCCASIONAL AIRPLANE, AND I ASKED THEM WHAT THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN JESUS CAME BACK. WOULD HE START AS A TINY SPECK AND GET BIGGER AND BIGGER AS HE DREW NEAR? OR, WOULD THE SKY EXPLODE WITH BRIGHTNESS AT HIS SUDDEN APPEARANCE? OR BOTH? WE THEN EXPLORED HOW WE WOULD GET TO HIM. WOULD WE HAVE WINGS? WOULD OUR BODIES CHANGE AND JUST RISE UP? MY 5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER SPOKE UP CONFIDENTLY AND SAID “YOU JUST PUT YOUR EYES ON HIM AND YOU WILL GO UP TO HIM!” WHAT A REFRESHING THOUGHT!! HOW FUN TO THINK OF OUR OWN ASCENSION DAY!!
“To you I lift up my eyes, O you who are enthroned in the heavens!”
Psalm 123:1 A Song of Ascents.