Happy birthday, Laura! What a privilege to celebrate my youngest daughter turning another year older. A privilege I would’ve chosen to miss at one time.
I wrote about Laura being our surprise baby here, and many of the lessons God taught me through her tiny, pre-born life. I’m so glad God is in control and not me or Laura wouldn’t be here. What a life-altering loss that would be for us and so many others, including her new husband Josh, who is still smitten!
To celebrate Laura’s birthday today —and your birthdays all year— we are going to do a giveaway every month for our new, bright Happy Birthday banner! We love our just-arrived banner with its cheerful little multi-colored pom poms stitched around the border. (See below for this months entry details and/OR buy one here.)
Here are a few ideas for how to use the banner in your house:
- Hang it on your front door for the birthday boy or girl’s entire birthday week so everyone in your neighborhood knows it’s someone’s birthday.
- Hang it on the birthday person’s bedroom door.
- Hang it in your kitchen for the week so you remember to celebrate the amazing gift God has wrapped up in your child or spouse.
Another idea is to get one for your office or school classroom. The HR team at FamilyLife hung the banner outside the office of FamilyLife staff members on his or her birthday. The bright colors make sure everyone notices!
Birthdays remind us every year that life is a gift we too easily take for granted. The verses from Psalm 139 on our banner cake tell us the truth about ourselves and those we love. God says:
- God knit each one of us together in our mother’s womb.
- Each of us is fearfully and wonderfully made.
- He has assigned us a specific number of days to live. And that number is exactly the right amount, even written in one of His books.
- He knows when we stand up and sit down.
- If we run away and hide. He still knows where to find us.
- Amazingly, before we speak a single word, an entire speech or blurt out a cry of joy or pain, God knows beforehand what our mouths will utter.
David said, such knowledge is too wonderful for me!
As you celebrate birthdays this year, give thanks for all the intricacies of the birthday boy or girl, but also help your family give thanks for our Father in Heaven who knows us better than anyone and loves us no matter what.
Congratulations to Kate for winning this giveaway!
We are excited to give away one of our Brand New “Happy Birthday Banners” to one of you! Details to enter are below.
TWO easy ways to enter:
1. Comment below with a favorite birthday memory
2. Share this post on ONE of the following, make sure you tag us @EverThineHome: Facebook or Instgram — (If your instagram or Facebook accounts are private, please include “Shared” on your comment below.)
Giveaway ENDS Sunday, January 7th at 12:00 pm